Ah, the student life. Is there anything better than combining work and play by studying abroad? How about adding to the experience with more travel. Many of the top study abroad destinations are also good jumping off spots for exploring other fun, student-friendly locales.
To help those studying far from home pack more travel into their adventure, the experts at Cheapflights.com have pulled together their picks for getaways that are a short flight or train ride away from top spots for overseas studies.
Study abroad programs offer the chance of a lifetime to get to know a city over a stretch of weeks or even months. And, when it comes time to take a break from your home away, more destinations await. Check out some of the suggestions for where to go for more adventure:
- Studying in Rome, Italy; get away to Dubrovnik, Croatia – Want to eat your fill of delicious pasta and be surrounded by awe-inspiring art and history? Then studying in Rome, Italy is probably a great idea for a semester abroad. There are 24 Italian and international colleges and universities in Rome, including Università la Sapienza, the largest in Europe. When you want to step away from the carbs, consider a getaway to Dubrovnik, Croatia, about an hour flight from Rome. Trade perfectly cooked plates of pasta for beautiful beaches set against the vibrant blue Adriatic Sea and the endlessly charming pedestrian-only Old Town. Dubrovnik also happens to be the main filming location for a little show called “Game of Thrones.“
- Studying in Edinburgh, Scotland; get away to Brussels, Belgium – Edinburgh might not come close to London in terms of size, but there are still many top-rated universities in the Scottish capital, making it a good option for studying abroad. The easily walkable city is rich with history and culture and offers a unique blend of ancient sites with modern amenities and attractions. It’s also an easy 90-minute flight away from Brussels, another European capital with its own line-up of treats. If a love of history attracted you to Scotland in the first place, there’s more where that came from in Brussels. However, there’s plenty that sets the city apart from Edinburgh too. Cutting-edge museums, exciting nightlife, plenty of green space, outdoor markets and amazing shopping are just a few reasons to visit. Oh, and of course, there’s the chocolate. Remember to stock up on the chocolate.
- Studying in Montreal, Quebec, Canada; get away to Toronto, Ontario, Canada – Montreal is home to several international universities including McGill, Concordia and the University of Montreal and is popular with undergraduate and graduate students alike. The second largest French-speaking city in the world after Paris, it offers a European feel and plenty of arts and culture without heading overseas. And it provides the perfect opportunity for weekend getaways to Toronto. Reached via affordable, one-hour round-trip flights, Toronto makes for a quick, easy and relatively cheap excursion. With tons to do that won’t set your budget back, including museums, art galleries, a lively comedy and theater scene, hip restaurants and bars and breathtaking views from atop the CN Tower, there is no shortage of ways to spend your time.
- Studying in Tokyo, Japan; get away to Taipei, Taiwan – Tokyo offers international students a fascinating mash-up of old and new, ancient history and ultra-modern, all in one place. Japan’s capital is an ideal study abroad option for anyone who wants to experience a high-energy destination with cutting-edge fashion, art, design and food. In addition to the University of Tokyo, there are over 100 other universities and colleges in and around the city. When you want to do more traveling, think about a visit to Taipei, Taiwan, for some equally good food, fun and shopping, as well as the chance to soak in nearby hot springs, browse and snack your way through many a night market, get back to nature with some scenic day hikes and temple hop through the city.
- Studying in Melbourne, Australia; get away to Auckland, New Zealand – Several universities in Melbourne make this culturally rich city a popular study abroad destination. Any time not spent hitting the books may well go to exploring the city’s many laneways, which are filled with a plethora of funky street art, cool cafés, bars and boutiques. And that’s just scratching Melbourne’s surface. But if you want to hop on a plane and do some more traveling, why not add Auckland, New Zealand, to your list? A three-and-a-half-hour flight puts a new country stamp in your passport and lands you in close proximity to wineries, scenic hiking spots, beautiful beaches, volcanoes and loads of opportunities for getting your adrenaline pumping with activities like bungee jumping, skydiving and canyoning.
More study-travel combinations include: Studying in Dublin, Ireland; get away to Cardiff, Wales; studying in Beijing, China; get away to Seoul, Korea; studying in Paris, France, get away to Prague, Czech Republic; studying in Barcelona, Spain; get away to Lyon, France; studying in London, England, get away to Amsterdam, Netherlands.
To get the full list of recommended study abroad destinations, check out Cheapflights.com at www.cheapflights.com/news/youre-studying-abroad-take-quick-weekend-trip. To see the full line-up of ways to stretch your student travel dollar, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/10-ways-stretch-student-travel-dollar.