As more fresh fruits and veggies come into season, it’s a great time to think about how to “clean your plate.” And, by this, we don’t mean eating every last bite. At Hain Celestial, a clean plate means a wholesome, delicious meal with clean ingredients that allow real flavors to shine.
What Are Clean Ingredients?
Simply put, clean ingredients are those that are in an unprocessed state. This means no artificial preservatives, sweeteners, flavors or colors. It also means ingredients that are never genetically modified.
The good news is that cleaner eating can be achieved with the help of a few simple tips. Five of our favorites include:
- Keep it Short. And, we’re talking about ingredient lists here. Typically, the fewer ingredients in a product, the better. It’s also helpful to look for simple, organic ingredients. If you can’t pronounce an ingredient, it might be worthwhile to look for an organic version of the same product.
- Think Whole. Whole foods and whole grains are oftentimes a good bet when you’re trying to keep your plate clean and eat healthy. When it comes to whole grains, a good rule of thumb is to look for products that list a whole grain first or at least high on the ingredient list.
- Get Saucy. Sauces and condiments, which can be loaded with salt, are often overlooked when it comes to eating clean. However, these can be a big part of a dish or meal. Choosing organic sauces and condiments is one simple way to get to a cleaner plate.
- Go Basic. The idea here is to pay the most attention to the foods you eat the most. Since you consume a lot of these foods, sticking to organic versions of them can have a bigger impact on your diet than foods you only eat occasionally.
- Cook It Up. Cooking is a great way to ensure your plate is clean. When you cook your own meals, you have control over ingredients and cooking methods. Plus, you can find some delicious recipe ideas that can spice up your regular routine.
To learn more about how to “clean your plate” and for recipe ideas, visit http://cleanyourplaterecipes.com/.