Mexican authorities seized more than 10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol and opened an investigation into an illicit manufacturer who had been supplying numerous resorts, nightclubs and restaurants. In light of these actions, travel insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance shares reminders of important alcohol consumption safeguards while traveling overseas.
“Whether staying at an all-inclusive resort or a home sharing rental within the city, staying alert and being prepared when traveling is vital,” said Kimberly Seay, RN, director of Travel Assistance at Allianz Global Assistance USA, and a former ER/Trauma nurse. Seay recommends the following 10 tips for travelers to follow when consuming alcohol on vacation:
- Drink in moderation/limit alcohol usage
- Insist on watching your drink being made
- If you are suspicious of the color, then trust your instincts and – do not drink it
- Bottled or can beer does appear to be a safer option
- Insist that the beer is opened in your presence
- Buy your own alcohol at “duty free” shops and only drink what you brought, even if you are required to pay a “corkage fee”
- Never, ever, leave your drink unattended
- Be observant and aware of your surroundings
- If you do feel ill, seek attention immediately
- Call your travel insurance provider if you need help finding medical care, or if you are admitted to a hospital
Because destinations cannot guarantee that tourists will remain 100 percent safe on their vacation due to unforeseen situations that can occur, it’s important that travelers remain vigilant and take the necessary precautions before and during their trip.
“Something as unpredictable as tainted alcohol can turn what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation into a medical emergency. Travel insurance with sufficient medical coverage can provide direct payments to hospitals so that consumers don’t have to pay out of pocket for their care,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications at Allianz Global Assistance USA. “The right travel insurance provider will also be there 24/7 to answer questions and help manage serious illnesses or injuries. Tools like our TravelSmart app provides consumers with a database of approved healthcare facilities overseas, local emergency numbers, one-touch dialing to reach us and more.”
Get more information at www.allianztravelinsurance.com.